Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Lord is my Shepherd

When I was a small boy there appeared to be only one Bible translation around. This was not actually true, but the only version I had any experience of was the King James or Authorised Version. As I became a teenager the New Testament part of the New English Bible was published. When I started to read it I could understand more clearly what was written. Nine years later the Old Testament was complete and we had a complete new translation of the Bible. I was glad of this as I began to read the Old Testament stories presented in language I could understand.
After the New English Bible came other translations or paraphrases. The New International Version appeared to be very popular and had quite a strong following. I particularly liked the Good News Bible with its amazing drawings which, in a few pencil strokes spoke volumes about a particular passage. But then we became aware of a great revision to the New English Bible. It has involved great scholarship and many comments and criticisms from some learned sources. Eventually I purchased a copy of The Revised English Bible for myself and it is now looking very well used.
But no single edition or revision has ever bettered the Authorised version for its version of the 23rd Psalm. It possesses a unique economy of words which have a beauty and a potency unsurpassed anywhere else. I turn sometimes to the largely Roman Catholic version, The Jerusalem Bible for some beautiful poetic descriptions and the fact that they chose to use the name, Yahweh, which was used by the people of the Old Testament times.
If I were condemned to end my days on a desert island I would like to have in my possession the Authorised Version of the 23rd Psalm to sustain me. It says so much in so few words that it would support any castaway.
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want" Because I follow God as my shepherd I shall never be in want for anything. This relationship is something quite complete and sustaining.
"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters." I can relax in the most comfortable place possible and God takes me to drink the cool still water of life.
"He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." God takes my weary, battered soul and gives it the rest it needs, restoring it so that I can continue in his flock. If I follow God I shall be following the way that is laid down for me, the holy way, that ensures God's name is not sullied.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou are with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Here the psalm tells it as it is. The Good News refers to "the deepest darkness". The Revised English Bible talks of "a valley of deepest darkness". The New English Bible speaks of "a valley dark as death" and the Jerusalem Bible says "a gloomy valley". Not one of these speaks with the same power as the Authorised Version. That valley is the valley of the very" shadow of death" itself. The confidence of the psalmist is such that he feels able to survive so close to death. It is in this condition that he declares he will fear no evil because God is with him, taking him through. He sees the present comfort of God's rod and staff protecting him.
"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." God's great provision, echoed later in the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand, is spread out even when the enemies are close by to remind the traveller that he will win through and show the enemy who is leading the battle. For the righteous follower of God there is a table spread with everything to sustain him and he has all he wants to drink. There is plenty and lots more left in reserve. God is seen to anoint the individual, an honour normally reserved for a high ranking man.
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Never will the pilgrim be beyond the goodness and mercy of God all his life. Eventually, he knows, he will live with God in his special house for eternity. He is safe and he is secure till the end of time and beyond. To know more of the house of the Lord we need to turn to Revelation 21 and 22 to get a description of that place.
Although this is a blog called "The Jesus Narrative" this Old Testament psalm speaks powerfully of God's sustinence which Jesus himself spoke of in his ministry. All through the psalm we hear echoes from the gospels and the epistles. This psalm may be old but it applies for ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home